Dear Five Faces: I have a sister I’ll call Cate who is a Water, but over the years she’s become the exact opposite of a happy Water in her actions and attitudes. She doesn’t seem to have any hope or optimism anymore and always assumes the worst in a given situation. She doesn’t trust anyone or anything (except her six cats) and appears overly frightened about whatever is going on in the world. We didn’t have a great childhood, so I can understand Cate being somewhat reticent to trust and share with others, but is there any way I can help her return to some version of her true Watery self? Signed, Worried Sister
Dear Worried Sister: It’s understandable that you want to help Cate return to a happier state of being, and there are definite steps that you can take. But first I want to mention that if you think it’s ever warranted, you may need to suggest professional help. You will know if that’s necessary, so enough said.
From your description, it’s pretty clear that Cate is in a deficient state of Water. Balanced Water people have a keen awareness of their inner resources so trust that they can handle whatever life brings. They also view life through the filter of depth, so deep, profound issues matter to Waters. They love to go deep, but sometimes they lose their way back up.
The good news is that Water is the source of beginnings and creativity. It is the void out of which new ideas are born, the soil in which dreams germinate, the caldron of pure potentiality. That means envisioning a new start will be easier and more natural for Cate than any of the other elements. Imagination is one of Water’s greatest gifts, too, and that may be one way of helping her, so we’ll come back to it later.
I know that her cats are probably Cate’s only friends right now, but the fact that she has six of them suggests her secondary element is Earth. Taking care of six cats may have caused her to build her Earth to such a degree that it is now over-energized and thus over-controlling her Water. Suggest to Cate that every time she feeds her cats she do something nice for herself, too. Hopefully, this will help her make doing things for herself a major priority. Also encourage Cate to avoid having any yellow or orange colors in her environment. No yellow walls, no orange clothes, etc. These colors build Earth energy and she doesn’t want to do that at present.
There are many easy ways for Cate to get her Water building and flowing. These include:
- Surround herself with blue (the color that builds Water and will help take her out of her deficient state). That means wear blue clothes, paint her rooms blue, bring in blue flowers, anything that puts blue around her.
- Buy a small tabletop fountain and run it all the time. Flowing water in the fountain will help her own Water flow.
- Purchase a necklace of lapis lazuli beads (or a single bead on a chain) and wear it as often as possible, even 24/7 for a while. The vibration of lapis builds Water.
- Drink Lemon Balm tea, which balances an over-Earth condition.
- Twice daily gently rub the following meridian points: Liver 14 (Gate of Hope) and Kidney 3 (Supreme Stream). She can look up the point locations online.
- The sound “whoooooo” can balance Water energy. Have Cate exhale softly making the sound as slowly as she can, as often as she can.
Finally, let’s return to the gift of Water: imagination. When working with out-of-balance Waters, it’s important to remember that their deepest need is connection to a cause or a Truth. Help Cate imagine or rediscover a purpose to her life and a way to connect to it. Whether it means volunteering for a favorite cause or candidate, writing a book, painting a picture, or something else entirely, Waters need to express this aspect of themselves, so help Cate do that in any way she wants.
Seasonally we are in Water time right now, which brings Water energy. If Cate is willing to put just a small amount of effort into these options now, I believe she can get her Water flowing again. It may start as a little brook, but if she keeps with it, her Water can grow and flow back to normal. Blessings to you and Cate!