Dear Vicki: I was at a class you taught on the Five Elements a few years ago and think you said that we can sometimes become a different element. Did I hear that right? I’m so tired of being an Earth and would love to change elements. How do I do that? Signed, Ready for a Change
Dear Ready: Well, that’s not exactly what I said. Our elemental makeup is woven into the fabric of our being at birth and doesn’t change. I like to think that our souls select our primary elements for what are probably very good reasons. And I’m not one to argue with my soul (at least not very often).
What I did say was that we have all five elements in our makeup, and I probably described them as clubhouses. That’s because I think of our elemental affinity as being assigned to a secret club at birth – so secret that no one tells us we belong – and we spend our life thinking, acting, and seeing the world as a member of that club. There’s a Water clubhouse, a Wood clubhouse, etc. We normally hang out in the clubhouse of our primary affiliation because it’s where we feel the most comfortable. For me, that’s the Wood clubhouse. For my husband, it’s the Metal clubhouse. For you, it’s the Earth clubhouse.
However, we can and do visit other element clubhouses from time to time. Sometimes by choice, other times life events seem to bump us into a different clubhouse to help us cope with a situation. For example, I had a period in my life years ago when several important people and animals close to me passed on. That definitely made me an honorary Metal for several months as I processed the grief. I thought like a Metal, acted like a Metal, and pretty much was a Metal for that time. And I needed to be a Metal to move through what had happened and come to a place of letting go. Woods don’t let go very well; balanced Metals excel at it.
But it doesn’t take a life event to change clubhouses for a time. We can consciously choose to visit a different clubhouse any time we need what it has to offer. For example:
- When we have to get something done, we can step into the Wood clubhouse to help organize and direct us. We’ve all had days when we’re amazed at how much we’ve accomplished. That was our Wood energy helping us out. (It’s not a problem I usually have because my Wood energy is usually pretty front and center, but I know people who do have trouble getting things done, so channeling their inner Wood really helps.)
- When we have to teach a class, speak to a large crowd, or in any other way be a center of attention (even at a birthday party), we can choose to visit the Fire clubhouse. By channeling our inner Fire, we can be confident, clever, and captivating to the “audience.” Personally, I find tapping into my Fire makes me much more comfortable when teaching.
- When we need to be caring and compassionate with someone, we all probably visit the Earth clubhouse without even knowing we do it. Earths connect with people at a deep level, and this can make a difficult time for someone feel easier. Any kind of healing work involves time spent in the Earth clubhouse. A hallmark of Earths is their caring nature and I suspect that one reason you don’t want to be an Earth anymore is that you have done more for others than you have done for yourself. This often happens with Earths and they can start to feel a bit like a doormat. We’ll come back to some suggestions for you to feel better about being an Earth soon.
- When we need to follow a specific set of rules or protocols, or let go of something, that’s easiest to do from the Metal clubhouse. Metals are masters or detachment and naturally honor process and protocol because they know it works. We’ve all had times when it was easy to follow the rules. That was our Metal.
- And when we need imagination, creativity, or just the ability to wrap our minds around a deep truth, there’s not better place to be than the Water clubhouse. It’s also a great place to be when things are out of our control and we need to go with the flow for a time. Waters just naturally do that.
So, that’s a long-winded way of saying that you can’t permanently change your elemental affiliation. You were born an Earth for a reason. And while you can be an honorary version of any element you want for short periods of time whenever you want, I would like to suggest that you take steps to balance your Earth so you are happy in that Earth clubhouse.
As an Earth, you are wired to be caring and compassionate, but that means with yourself as well as others. In addition to focusing on being consciously kind and supportive of yourself, you can drink lemon balm tea daily, wear rose quartz or tigers eye jewelry (make sure the stone touches your skin), and gently rest your fingers on the orbital bone below your eyes for several minutes multiple times a day. This will all help you make peace with your Earth. It’s your natural affinity, who you really are. And truly, Earths are a special gift to the rest of us. You hold us all.